BAN ON HANDS FREE CAR PHONE USE?

BAN ON HANDS FREE CAR PHONE USE?

Postby Cannydc » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:25 pm

MPs have called for a ban on the use of hands-free mobile phone devices while driving.

Current laws which only proscribe the use of devices being held by drivers gives the "misleading impression" that hands-free use is safe despite it creating "the same risks of a collision", a report published by the Commons Transport Select Committee warned.

The cross-party committee acknowledged that there would be practical challenges to criminalising hands-free phone use and enforcing the offence, but insisted "this does not mean that we should not do it".

It recommended that the Government should explore options for extending the current ban on hand-held mobiles and publish a public consultation on the issue by the end of 2019.

I thought this must be some kind of April Fools joke when I first heard it.

So pushing a single button on my steering wheel to talk to someone is more dangerous than a conversation with a passenger, or the kids in the back?

How about smoking, turning the radio on/off, picking your nose ?

Seriously, we are in about as big a crisis currently that I can remember, and people are paid as MPs to serve up garbage like this ? The stats they quote are for death and injury caused directly by mobile phone use - we have all seen the idiots texting, or the phone wedged to their ears, but none... NONE are attributable directly to hands free use.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/mps- ... 11846.html
Cannydc

Re: BAN ON HANDS FREE CAR PHONE USE?

Postby Fletch » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:48 pm

Just government finding another revenue stream.
Fletch

Postby McAz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:53 pm

Fletch wrote:Just government finding another revenue stream.

It's not that, it is difficult to police and the cost prohibitive.

Either they think they need another "sus" law - or they haven't thought it through clearly. Probably the latter.

What next, no talking to your passenger, no listening to the radio? :roll:
McAz

Postby Fletch » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:09 pm

McAz wrote:

Either they think they need another "sus" law - or they haven't thought it through clearly. Probably the latter.

It might well be a Boris publicity campaign, along with all the other announcements on what they will do, to try and attract voters.

Remember May and her pledge to those 'left behind' and how much fairer she would be? :roll:

Or maybe people will get a fine when the cameras catch them singing along to the radio? :yikes:
Fletch

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:15 pm

McAz wrote:

Dead cheap to implement as it's all done by cameras and AI.
All those MP's giving the slightest bit of support to this need hauling before the public and stripping of their assets and position as a lesson to the rest of them that we won't put up with much more of their fucking us about like this.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby McAz » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:20 pm

Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote:

All those MP's giving the slightest bit of support to this need hauling before the public and stripping of their assets and position as a lesson to the rest of them that we won't put up with much more of their fucking us about like this.

All that can identify is someone talking, not who or what they are talking to. Of course live monitoring of all phone calls could overcome that problem. :ooer:
McAz

Postby Fletch » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:26 pm

McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote:

All that can identify is someone talking, not who or what they are talking to. Of course live monitoring of all phone calls could overcome that problem. :ooer:

That's the bit they're not telling you.
Fletch

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:34 pm

McAz wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
McAz wrote:

Yes that's because the law is only about using your hands at the moment.
Soon as hands free is implemented the needed upgrades will take place .... if they haven't already but I'm gussing we'll need 5g for that as it is so fast as to be in real time.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby Stooo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:48 pm

The lorry driver who killed at least two for alleged phone use was changing his spotify list, a bit like fiddling with the radio and he was rightfully done for death by dangerous driving.

I use hands free in the car but not in the wagon but I do use internet radio.

This is a stupid proposal and an unenforceable law.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:46 pm

Why can't car companies just stick a device in the cars that blocks cell phone use?
You can buy hand held Cell phone zappers. So there is the technology out there.

Postby Cannydc » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:28 pm

Guest wrote:Why can't car companies just stick a device in the cars that blocks cell phone use?

Imagine being in a pile up on the motorway and trying to ring 999.... and nobodies phone works...
Cannydc

Postby Stooo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:34 pm

Guest wrote:Why can't car companies just stick a device in the cars that blocks cell phone use?

Because jamming signals without the necessary permission is illegal. I went to a call out to a caravan site once that was in a very bad signal area but I got a lock a few metres away from the property. Reported it to OFCOM and next door had a signal jammer running just to piss him off :off head:

People like shit in the car, fucking great screens that integrate with your phone and use a touch interface, no more fiddling with knobs or rummaging under your seat for the lost cassette.

It's unenforceable and will only be used to gain charges for potential traffic offences.

My phone is on all day and broadcasts LBC to me through a speaker (I don't use the built in system) and my phone is set up to only use the phone speaker for calls, therefore I have to hold it to my head to talk into it which I only do when stopped. However, the use of my phone as a distraction if in an accident, could be argued if I was listening to an app or using Waze under these proposed laws. They have to pay for those new prisons somehow...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Snookerballs » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:06 pm

Stooo wrote:

Because jamming signals without the necessary permission is illegal. I went to a call out to a caravan site once that was in a very bad signal area but I got a lock a few metres away from the property. Reported it to OFCOM and next door had a signal jammer running just to piss him off :off head:

People like shit in the car, fucking great screens that integrate with your phone and use a touch interface, no more fiddling with knobs or rummaging under your seat for the lost cassette.

It's unenforceable and will only be used to gain charges for potential traffic offences.

My phone is on all day and broadcasts LBC to me through a speaker (I don't use the built in system) and my phone is set up to only use the phone speaker for calls, therefore I have to hold it to my head to talk into it which I only do when stopped. However, the use of my phone as a distraction if in an accident, could be argued if I was listening to an app or using Waze under these proposed laws. They have to pay for those new prisons somehow...

To use your phone legally you have to stop and SWITCH OFF the ignition .
Snookerballs

Postby Stooo » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:12 pm

Snookerballs wrote:
Stooo wrote:

But it's my satnav and my radio.

Officer: But you are using a mobile device.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:25 am

Snookerballs wrote:
Stooo wrote:

Isnt pulling over enough?
Lady Murasaki

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs