Opinion: The lasting effects of a No Deal Brexit

Re: Opinion: The lasting effects of a No Deal Brexit

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:26 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
McAz wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
McAz wrote:A cause for celebration, I think. :Wiiiine!:

The British fear since the 17th century has been that Ireland would be the trading crossroads between the Americas and Europe that the English needed to be in order to survive. Keeping either Ireland or Scotland from joining with Europe to make England irrelevant was always a focus of English politics but now they've turned that around. English politics is now specifically aimed at becoming as isolationist and irrelevant as possible

The Scots are planning a 2nd ref as early as next year, and the omens are looking good. With a fair wind the EU may let them rejoin sooner rather than later and I will be in the delightful position of having my Scottish/EU citizenship back and an EU border just a few minutes up the road.

I'm trying hard not to count my chickens. :gigglesnshit:

Yes - if the Irish border is a problem for the UK just think of the fun they'll have with the Scottish border when the EU puts up border posts to protect the integrity of the single market.

Of course without Scotland it won't be the UK anymore. It won't be Great Britain either as that's a geographic term referring to the largest Island in the British Isles and it can't be just England because it will include Wales too (at least temporarily) I guess we'll have to think of a new name.

Maybe that's why Boris is so set on leaving. In a year or so he'll suggest Borisland as the name for the shrunken and neutered country

:laughing:

I propose Bozoland - kind of fitting.
McAz

Postby Ray of Sunshine » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:02 pm

Another soothsayer, can you give me tonight's winning Euromillions numbers please CJ?
Ray of Sunshine

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:06 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Another soothsayer, can you give me tonight's winning Euromillions numbers please CJ?

Euromillions. :pmsl:
McAz

Postby Cannydc » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:25 pm

" I guess we'll have to think of a new name."

I vote for the very apt Bongo Bongo Land.

Thought up by a little Englander, for other little Englanders. Perfect for little England then.

However.... I have an uneasy feeling that Bojo has prorogued for a very good reason indeed.

Because it will restart as a new parliamentary session, Treeza's deal can be brought back yet again. Tweaked, yes, but essentially the same and presented as a last chance.

It will pass.
Cannydc

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:41 pm

Cannydc wrote:" I guess we'll have to think of a new name."

Thought up by a little Englander, for other little Englanders. Perfect for little England then.

However.... I have an uneasy feeling that Bojo has prorogued for a very good reason indeed.

Because it will restart as a new parliamentary session, Treeza's deal can be brought back yet again. Tweaked, yes, but essentially the same and presented as a last chance.

It will pass.

And if it does the RedRocs of this world will be jumping up and down with joy even though it fulfills nothing that they voted for and gets not an inch of "their country back".

But in their dense brains and inflated egos they'll continue to believe they have dealt a killer blow against the elite...

...who remain to lord over them just as they always have. :pmsl:
McAz

Postby Cannydc » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:46 pm

McAz wrote:

It will pass.

And if it does the RedRocs of this world will be jumping up and down with joy even though it fulfills nothing that they voted for and gets not an inch of "their country back".

But in their dense brains and inflated egos they'll continue to believe they have dealt a killer blow against the elite...

Yes, still in a customs union, still with current freedom of movement rules, harmonised standards and rules BUT NO SAY IN FORMULATING THEM. A vassal state.

My guess is that the 'Big Amendment' to the deal will be a fairly substantial drop in the £39bn bill to around half that.

Fromage will be frothing at the mouth.
Cannydc

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:51 pm

Cannydc wrote:
McAz wrote:

It will pass.

Yes, still in a customs union, still with current freedom of movement rules, harmonised standards and rules BUT NO SAY IN FORMULATING THEM. A vassal state.

My guess is that the 'Big Amendment' to the deal will be a fairly substantial drop in the £39bn bill to around half that.

Interesting - hadn't thought of that.
McAz

Postby Rocthedog » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:07 pm

Ray of Sunshine wrote:Another soothsayer, can you give me tonight's winning Euromillions numbers please CJ?

I gotta have one of those remainers Crystal Balls not one of those remainers have been right about their predictions. All the labourerits want to do is ,follow their commissar the Turd Corbyn, who is leading his party into oblivion. The Limp Dumbshits do not believe in democracy. So,they are going to be fucked at the next GE. Rock on Boris get us outl of the EU.
Your doing it's the right way.
Rocthedog

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:08 pm

McAz wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
McAz wrote:

It will pass.

Interesting - hadn't thought of that.

Me neither and with some concession on the backstop it has a good chance of passing. The Brady Amendment had the strongest support across the House previously so with that added sweetener a new deal would get across the line.

What a waste of time if that is the end result though. Wonder if we will have a GE in the future where parties run on manifestos of complete re-joining or complete withdrawal?
Avon Barksdale

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:11 pm

Rocthedog wrote:

I gotta have one of those remainers Crystal Balls not one of those remainers have been right about their predictions. All the labourerits want to do is ,follow their commissar the Turd Corbyn, who is leading his party into oblivion. The Limp Dumbshits do not believe in democracy. So,they are going to be fucked at the next GE. Rock on Boris get us outl of the EU.

:pmsl: (makes chimp sound)

And you and the polls thought Treeza would get a thumping majority the last time around :pmsl:

Postby Rocthedog » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:26 pm

Guest wrote:
Rocthedog wrote:

And you and the polls thought Treeza would get a thumping majority the last time around :pmsl:

You. Have no idea why May dropped a lot of voters in tha election. I spoke to my grandad at the time he told me the Consevatives lost the pensioners vote. I asked how, he said they were discussing cutting back the state pension. That scared the pensioners across the country. He did not vote and he has voted Tory all his life. The two silly fruit cakes advising May were sacked because of that. The Tories lost thousands of pensioners as soon as that was reported in the press and the tv news chanels.
Rocthedog

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:31 pm

Rocthedog wrote:
Guest wrote:
Rocthedog wrote:

You. Have no idea why May dropped a lot of voters in tha election. I spoke to my grandad at the time he told me the Consevatives lost the pensioners vote. I asked how, he said they were discussing cutting back the state pension. That scared the pensioners across the country. He did not vote and he has voted Tory all his life. The two silly fruit cakes advising May were sacked because of that. The Tories lost thousands of pensioners as soon as that was reported in the press and the tv news chanels.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/ ... e-18953679
:laughing:
That will go down well then!

Younger people don't vote Tory either.

Postby Avon Barksdale » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:32 pm

I don't get why Leavers have such faith or trust in the Conservative Party to deliver a No Deal Brexit or any meaningful form of Brexit.

It has been a theme through out my life that politicians can't really be trusted and continually backtrack on their promises. The Conservatives have spent the last ten years or so laying waste to public services through austerity which disproportionately impacts on the less well off. Prominent members of the Cabinet have called British people some of the worst idlers in the world and have a cultural dependence on benefits. And somehow now, through the magic of Brexit, they have had a road to Damascus conversion and are super pro-Democracy and the ordinary man on the street. Wut?

And Boris. I confess I quite like him but he's a toff who has got very wealthy through EU connections, was a proponent of well managed globalisation with friends in banking, initially favoured Remain but now he is Mr Nation State? Come on now...
Avon Barksdale

Postby McAz » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:41 pm

The lower orders like to be led - it matters little who leads them or where to.

Primates.
McAz

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs