PM's brother quits as Tory MP and minister

PM's brother quits as Tory MP and minister

Postby Cactus Jack » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:18 pm

Jo Johnson, the younger brother of Prime Minister Boris Johnson, is resigning as an MP and minister, saying he is "torn between family loyalty and the national interest".

The business minister and Tory MP for Orpington, south-east London, cited an "unresolvable tension" in his role.

Mr Johnson voted Remain in the 2016 EU membership referendum, while his brother co-led the Leave campaign.

BBC political editor Laura Kuenssberg said it was "unbelievable timing".

Mr Johnson's resignation follows the removal of the Tory whip from 21 MPs this week for supporting moves to prevent a no-deal Brexit.

MPs set for fresh early election vote on Monday
Jo Johnson quits May government over Brexit
Ex-Labour MP Berger joins Liberal Democrats
Our political editor tweeted that Mr Johnson was "understood to be upset about the purge of colleagues" and that the brothers were "in very different places" on Brexit.

Jo Johnson resigned as a minister last year in protest at Theresa May's Brexit deal.

But he re-entered government during the summer, after Conservative Party members elected his brother as leader.

Mr Johnson's resignation also comes as the government announced it would give MPs another chance to vote for an early election on Monday.

The fresh vote on an early election is scheduled just before Parliament is due to be prorogued - or suspended - from next week until 14 October.

Labour's shadow education secretary Angela Rayner said: "Boris Johnson poses such a threat that even his own brother doesn't trust him."

Is Jo Johnson the first minister to resign so he can spend LESS time with his family
Cactus Jack

Re: PM's brother quits as Tory MP and minister

Postby Cannydc » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:25 pm

Jojo had to go solo cos Bojo's so-so mojo is a no-no.

That will be some family Christmas lunch if dad, sis and mistress turn up.
Cannydc

Postby Stooo » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:35 pm

Most people leave politics to spend more time with their family, Jo did the opposite...
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:54 am

This Do or Die attitude is quite annihilistic.
Lady Murasaki

Postby MungoBrush » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:08 am

Cannydc wrote:Jojo had to go solo cos Bojo's so-so mojo is a no-no.

I don't remember you spilling your guts like this when the Milliband brothers split.
MungoBrush

Postby Cannydc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:07 am

MungoBrush wrote:

I don't remember you spilling your guts like this when the Milliband brothers split.

There's a lot you don't remember, my friend.

Including that both Dave and Treeza had huge poll leads and ended up with hung parliaments. Or that Bonkers Boris has been fired / forced to resign from 3 previous jobs, mostly because he lies like a cheap Japanese watch. Or that the 2007/8 banking crisis was an American production. So many things.
Cannydc

Postby MungoBrush » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:22 am

Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:

Including that both Dave and Treeza had huge poll leads and ended up with hung parliaments. Or that Bonkers Boris has been fired / forced to resign from 3 previous jobs, mostly because he lies like a cheap Japanese watch. Or that the 2007/8 banking crisis was an American production. So many things.

Who do you think will be the next leader of what's left of the parliamentary Labour party after the Conservatives win the next election?
MungoBrush

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:36 am

MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:

Who do you think will be the next leader of what's left of the parliamentary Labour party after the Conservatives win the next election?

Like the landslide they won at the last one?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Cannydc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:10 am

MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:

When Jeremy Corbyn decides to retire, I could envisage Keir Starmer or Emily Thornberry as the next PM to follow him.

**Edit - musn't forget the talented Rebecca Long-Bailey and of course Angela Rayner. So much talent.

So come on, don't be shy - who will replace Bonkers Boris, as early as next Tuesday ?
Cannydc

Postby MungoBrush » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:21 am

Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:
Cannydc wrote:
MungoBrush wrote:

When Jeremy Corbyn decides to retire, I could envisage Keir Starmer or Emily Thornberry as the next PM to follow him.

**Edit - musn't forget the talented Rebecca Long-Bailey and of course Angela Rayner. So much talent.

So come on, don't be shy - who will replace Bonkers Boris, as early as next Tuesday ?

Well, this was a lie - wasn't it ........

"Jeremy Corbyn will resign as Labour leader if he loses a general election, says John McDonnell"

Andy McSmith @andymcsmith
Sunday 24 July 2016 11:15

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 53196.html
MungoBrush

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:27 am

You want to compare lies? Really?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:29 am

Why is BJ saying he’s been in talks with the EU when they’ve said there have been no talks?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Cannydc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:30 pm

Well, this was a lie - wasn't it ........

"Jeremy Corbyn will resign as Labour leader if he loses a general election, says John McDonnell" (2016)

If he loses an election he will of course resign.

And no, he didn't lose the 2017 election, as there were no winners. Treeza had to bribe the DUP for their votes to cling to power. In fact that election was widely regarded as a huge success for Corbyn, and the closeness of the result then has come back to bite Barmy Boris in the bum this week, next week and until the next GE - which will be when Corbyn decides.
Cannydc

Postby MungoBrush » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:09 pm

Cannydc wrote:Well, this was a lie - wasn't it ........

"Jeremy Corbyn will resign as Labour leader if he loses a general election, says John McDonnell" (2016)

If he loses an election he will of course resign.

And no, he didn't lose the 2017 election, as there were no winners. Treeza had to bribe the DUP for their votes to cling to power. In fact that election was widely regarded as a huge success for Corbyn, and the closeness of the result then has come back to bite Barmy Boris in the bum this week, next week and until the next GE - which will be when Corbyn decides.

Nice try - but very weak.
This level of spin is nursery club stuff
You really should think your responses through before you cut and paste this drivel.
MungoBrush

Postby Cannydc » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:11 pm

Keep trolling the same garbage, Bungle. No-one is listening, no-one is that stupid. I haven't C+P anything - no link, see?
Cannydc

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs