John Bercow Steps Down.

John Bercow Steps Down.

Postby Stooo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:09 pm

If the last vote tonight is for a GE he will go immediately otherwise it will be at the end of the last session on Oct 31st.

Power hates truth being spoken to them, he will be sorely missed :shake head:
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: John Bercow Steps Down.

Postby Stooo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:31 pm

The tories don't seem to want to wish him well, another safe seat gone...

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:32 pm

John Bercow has outmanoeuvred Boris yet again.

By setting the date of his retirement within the current Parliament but not before Brexit day, when a more compliant speaker might let a late notion allowing a No Deal Brexit to pass through, John has ensure that the current crop of Rebel Tories, who will not be minded to accept Boris' choice, get to choose who will be the next Speaker
Cactus Jack

Postby Cannydc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:22 pm

There are lots of things I like Speaker Bercow for - his travels around the country speaking to schools about the workings of parliament, his standing up to a blustering, bullying government and his handling of the baying bearpit that the House of Commons has become.

I understand that there have been accusations of bullying, however. With no proof as yet, I will refrain from fulsome praise but hope they were simply politically motivated.

The Tories hated him and couldn't wait to get rid, so who knows.
Cannydc

Postby Cannydc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:23 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:John Bercow has outmanoeuvred Boris yet again.

By setting the date of his retirement within the current Parliament but not before Brexit day, when a more compliant speaker might let a late notion allowing a No Deal Brexit to pass through, John has ensure that the current crop of Rebel Tories, who will not be minded to accept Boris' choice, get to choose who will be the next Speaker

Isn't it convention that as Bercow was Tory, the next one should be Labour ?
Cannydc

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:28 pm

Cannydc wrote:

It's also a convention that the speaker should not be opposed by any of the main parties and that Parliament should not to prorogued to prevent scrutiny of flagship government legislation.

Would you trust the Tories to respect that convention?
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:29 pm

Cannydc wrote:There are lots of things I like Speaker Bercow for - his travels around the country speaking to schools about the workings of parliament, his standing up to a blustering, bullying government and his handling of the baying bearpit that the House of Commons has become.

I understand that there have been accusations of bullying, however. With no proof as yet, I will refrain from fulsome praise but hope they were simply politically motivated.

God, I hate this American thing of putting the job title before the person's name.

SORT YOUR FUCKING SELF OUT! ORDER!

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cannydc » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:54 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Cannydc wrote:

It's also a convention that the speaker should not be opposed by any of the main parties and that Parliament should not to prorogued to prevent scrutiny of flagship government legislation.

Would you trust the Tories to respect that convention?

Like I would ever trust a Tory !!

However, Speaker Bercow's constituency will become contested like all others anyway, so opposing him will be a moot point if the election is after 31st Oct, and it is up to all MPs to elect a new Speaker. As the Tories don't have anywhere near a majority I can't see them being able to wreck convention in this case.
Cannydc

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:45 pm

Stooo wrote:
Cannydc wrote:There are lots of things I like Speaker Bercow for - his travels around the country speaking to schools about the workings of parliament, his standing up to a blustering, bullying government and his handling of the baying bearpit that the House of Commons has become.

God, I hate this American thing of putting the job title before the person's name.

Queen Elizabeth II is American :srs?:

I thought she was a Kraut
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:47 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Stooo wrote:

You know what I fucking mean. :again?:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:51 pm

Stooo wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Stooo wrote:

You know what I fucking mean. :again?:

I was going for the laugh
Moderator Stoo
Cactus Jack

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Sorry I couldn't resist
Cactus Jack

Postby Stooo » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:56 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Sorry I couldn't resist

Fair dues :mrgreen:

Currently being horrified by watching the rise of the nazis on channel 2. Have a good evening.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:04 pm

Stooo wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:Sorry I couldn't resist

Fair dues :mrgreen:

Currently being horrified by watching the rise of the nazis on channel 2. Have a good evening.

The modern day parallels are quite chilling
Cactus Jack

Postby Grafenwalder » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:14 pm

Stooo wrote:The tories don't seem to want to wish him well, another safe seat gone...

Gove and co on the front benches couldn't have looked more bitter and resentful. And now Grieves emergency debate being passed has stuffed 'em forcing Johnson and his cronies to disclose all documents and details on Yellowhammer, comms on no deal planning and proroguing parliament. Downing street shredders will go into meltdown and raging bull Cummings will have a fresh batch of burner phones delivered. :mrgreen:

https://metro.co.uk/2019/09/09/governme ... -10713263/
Last edited by Grafenwalder on Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grafenwalder

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs