Scottish judges rule suspension of parliament illegal

Scottish judges rule suspension of parliament illegal

Postby McAz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:13 am

The court’s summary concluded that Johnson’s prorogation request to the Queen and her decision “was unlawful and is thus null and of no effect”.

(All news sources, just now).

Has no effect? Does this mean they all have to troop back again? I guess we await what the Supreme Court will say. :dunno:

Over to you CJ to explain. :thumbsup:
McAz

Re: Scottish judges rule suspension of parliament illegal

Postby Rolluplostinspace » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:16 am

Just heard that but didn't realise it was Scottish judges.
This country is an almighty mess.
Since the Tories took office.
Rolluplostinspace

Postby McAz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:23 am

Rolluplostinspace wrote:Just heard that but didn't realise it was Scottish judges.
This country is an almighty mess.
Since the Tories took office.

Since it is their (the Scot's) sovereign parliament too, I imagine it has similar effect (whatever that is) to what an English court might say. :dunno:
McAz

Postby McAz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:25 am

Keir Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary, said: “I welcome the court’s judgement. No one in their right mind believed Boris Johnson’s reason for shutting down parliament.

“I urge the prime minister to immediately recall parliament so we can debate this judgement and decide what happens next.”
McAz

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:51 am

Doesn't look like the Court has made an Order requiring Parliament to be recalled so don't think much will change practically until the hearing next Tuesday (unless BJ folds in the meantime and uses his prerogative power to do so.)

MPs could decide to take control of the Chamber in the meantime though using the decision as a justification.

This is a thoroughly British revolution.
Avon Barksdale

Postby McAz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:55 am

Avon Barksdale wrote:Doesn't look like the Court has made an Order requiring Parliament to be recalled so don't think much will change practically until the hearing next Tuesday (unless BJ folds in the meantime and uses his prerogative power to do so.)

MPs could decide to take control of the Chamber in the meantime though using the decision as a justification.

Supreme Court hearing next - but it's for the Speaker to consider what, if anything, is the impact of the ruling - I would have thought. :dunno:
McAz

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:02 am

McAz wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:Doesn't look like the Court has made an Order requiring Parliament to be recalled so don't think much will change practically until the hearing next Tuesday (unless BJ folds in the meantime and uses his prerogative power to do so.)

Supreme Court hearing next - but it's for the Speaker to consider what, if anything, is the impact of the ruling - I would have thought. :dunno:

Not sure if I covered that in my Constitutional Law lectures back in the day...

I wouldn't think so though as that would conflict with the Royal Prerogative which logically must take precedence over the Speaker's powers until the Court rules next week. If the Court finds against the Government next week the shit will truly hit the fan. This is a case which will be studied for decades if not centuries.
Avon Barksdale

Postby MungoBrush » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:07 am

Keith Starmer may well be right
But Labour has to decide which side of the fence it is sitting on first.
MungoBrush

Postby McAz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:08 am

Avon Barksdale wrote:
McAz wrote:

I wouldn't think so though as that would conflict with the Royal Prerogative which logically must take precedence over the Speaker's powers until the Court rules next week. If the Court finds against the Government next week the shit will truly hit the fan. This is a case which will be studied for decades if not centuries.

I've since read that what you outline is most likely an accurate position. Well recalled. :thumbsup:

Yes, this impacts on the future (subject to the Supreme Court agreeing) rather than now, limiting the hitherto assumed power of the PM.
McAz

Postby McAz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:10 am

MungoBrush wrote:Keith Starmer may well be right

Not really - a few more days of parliament sitting will have little impact on Labour's position.

This is more about screwing over Boris and his renegade Tories - and it's working. :Wiiiine!:
McAz

Postby Avon Barksdale » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:35 am

McAz wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
McAz wrote:

I've since read that what you outline is most likely an accurate position. Well recalled. :thumbsup:

Yes, this impacts on the future (subject to the Supreme Court agreeing) rather than now, limiting the hitherto assumed power of the PM.

Personally, I think the Supreme Court will find for the Government next week (English Courts approach constitutional issues and the law in a different manner to Scottish Courts.)

What is damning are the serious issues the Court raises about the trustworthiness of BJ and his Government. Will he be forced to resign? We can only wait and watch.
Avon Barksdale

Postby McAz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:45 am

Avon Barksdale wrote:
McAz wrote:
Avon Barksdale wrote:
McAz wrote:

Personally, I think the Supreme Court will find for the Government next week (English Courts approach constitutional issues and the law in a different manner to Scottish Courts.)

What is damning are the serious issues the Court raises about the trustworthiness of BJ and his Government. Will he be forced to resign? We can only wait and watch.

I'll reserve judgement on that - but if you are correct then it plays to my desire for an independent post-Brexit Scotland if the English overrule the Scots.

Boris resign? Who knows how schoolboys act when they are over-promoted? :dunno:
McAz

Postby Cannydc » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:27 pm

MungoBrush wrote:Keith Starmer may well be right

Still mithering on about Labour, and inaccurately as usual Bungle. Labour doesn't have to decide anything.

Perhaps it really is time to understand that the government makes the decisions, and under Bungling Boris they have been pretty much universally bad ones.

Time for all Tories to decide whether this shambolic pile of ordure known as the Conservative party honestly deserves their support.

There's only a limited time that you can flog a dead donkey before you realise it is incapable of running a country.
Cannydc

Postby MungoBrush » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Cannydc wrote:Labour doesn't have to decide anything.

That is the daftest thing you've said

Do you think that Labour can get elected with no Brexit policy?

What a pillock.

Every party has a Brexit policy
Every party except Labour
Government in waiting? With no policy?
Labour is a joke
And full of jokers like you.
MungoBrush

Postby MungoBrush » Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:37 pm

Cannydc wrote:Labour doesn't have to decide anything.

That is the daftest thing you've said

Do you think that Labour can get elected with no Brexit policy?

What a pillock.

Every party has a Brexit policy
Every party except Labour
Government in waiting? With no policy?
Labour is a joke
And full of jokers like you.
MungoBrush

Next

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs