York

Nice threads, no trolling please.
Forum rules
Comments are the responsibility of the poster

York

Postby Jon55 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:02 am

I am visiting York for a long weekend in November can anyone suggest anything we can do? We are 5 adults and one 2 year old little boy. We have already decided to visit the Train Museum.
Jon55

Re: York

Postby McAz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:04 am

Jon55 wrote:I am visiting York for a long weekend in November can anyone suggest anything we can do? We are 5 adults and one 2 year old little boy. We have already decided to visit the Train Museum.

Yorvik Centre, and a trip out to Pickering to ride the steam train (jra may be kind enough to provide details). York itself isn't that interesting.
McAz

Postby jra » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:34 pm

Jon55 wrote:I am visiting York for a long weekend in November can anyone suggest anything we can do? We are 5 adults and one 2 year old little boy. We have already decided to visit the Train Museum.

Heavens to Betsy. We might get you on a train one day if you go to the NRM. :yikes:

This is the railway McAz is referring to. I haven't been on it but it should be worth it for the scenery alone.

https://www.nymr.co.uk/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Yor ... rs_Railway

As for York itself. I've never been there. Us southerners don't travel that far north into the 'forbidden zone'. :roll:

But seriously. Have a nice long weekend.
jra

Postby McAz » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:38 pm

jra wrote:

Heavens to Betsy. We might get you on a train one day if you go to the NRM. :yikes:

This is the railway McAz is referring to. I haven't been on it but it should be worth it for the scenery alone.

https://www.nymr.co.uk/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Yor ... rs_Railway

As for York itself. I've never been there. Us southerners don't travel that far north into the 'forbidden zone'. :roll:

But seriously. Have a nice long weekend.

Thanks jra.

I've been on it - very good it is too. :thumbsup:
McAz

Postby Jon55 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:52 pm

Thanks for the replies - I am not that into trains I prefer planes or cars but my Grandson loves them so we will be visiting. I went to York years ago so I will be visiting the cathedral because I am interested in historical buildings because I studied Architecture at Uni.
Jon55

Postby Jobless Oddball » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:04 pm

Filey is only 40 minutes away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jobless Oddball

Postby Jobless Oddball » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:06 pm

McAz wrote:Yorvik Centre

I've heard the Jorvik centre is a load of old shite!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jobless Oddball

Postby Stooo » Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:15 pm

Walk the wall like a Viking and visit all the pubs :thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Jon55 » Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:36 am

Stooo wrote:

I would if it was just me and my other half but because we have a 2 year old with us we will looking for child friendly places.
Jon55

Postby jra » Sat Sep 14, 2019 7:07 am

Jon55 wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I would if it was just me and my other half but because we have a 2 year old with us we will looking for child friendly places.

Look at the bright side. The kid doesn't even need to drink to not remember it.
jra

Postby Gabby » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:12 pm

York Minster :thumbsup:.... I remember going at around 10 years old when we were staying on a caravan site not too far away.... it didn’t really grab me at that age, but i’d pay it another visit if I was to go to York again now! :smilin:
Gabby

Postby Stooo » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:20 pm

Gabby wrote:York Minster :thumbsup:.... I remember going at around 10 years old when we were staying on a caravan site not too far away.... it didn’t really grab me at that age, but i’d pay it another visit if I was to go to York again now! :smilin:

Holiday or just moved on from the last one?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Gabby » Sat Sep 14, 2019 3:23 pm

Stooo wrote:
Gabby wrote:York Minster :thumbsup:.... I remember going at around 10 years old when we were staying on a caravan site not too far away.... it didn’t really grab me at that age, but i’d pay it another visit if I was to go to York again now! :smilin:

Holiday or just moved on from the last one?

:pmsl: .... holiday! :alfie:
Gabby

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Snug