A right load of bollocks...

Re: What does it mean to be a Man?

Postby Jon55 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:50 am

This thread has made me think of this song :razz:

phpBB [video]
Jon55

Postby Nucks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:25 am

The recent Sam Smith Twitter thing where he now wants to be referred to by the pronoun "they" instead of "he". One wonders what "they" think it means to be a man, or used to be. Big thread on DS for anyone not aware.
Nucks

Postby LordRaven » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:35 am

Nucks wrote:The recent Sam Smith Twitter thing where he now wants to be referred to by the pronoun "they" instead of "he". One wonders what "they" think it means to be a man, or used to be. Big thread on DS for anyone not aware.

When we closed the office the other day we encountered "a person" wearing denim bib and braces halfway up to knees, a t shirt, earings, 5 day stubble, lipstick and eye make up.

Call me old fashioned, but if I called that person Mr would I be in the wrong?
LordRaven
Twat.

Postby Nucks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:45 am

LordRaven wrote:
Nucks wrote:The recent Sam Smith Twitter thing where he now wants to be referred to by the pronoun "they" instead of "he". One wonders what "they" think it means to be a man, or used to be. Big thread on DS for anyone not aware.

When we closed the office the other day we encountered "a person" wearing denim bib and braces halfway up to knees, a t shirt, earings, 5 day stubble, lipstick and eye make up.

The stubble makes me think male, although some women can be hirsute, I don't know if they get proper stubble on their face/neck. I guess you would say hi or hey. :ooer:
Nucks

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:25 pm

LordRaven wrote:

It’s amazing just how many times you have an encounter with someone or something days before there is a thread about it posted here. What a coincidence!

Postby Verdi » Sun Sep 15, 2019 12:49 pm

He may not identify as a man, but that doesn't stop him being a man. It's a bit like if Frank Bruno decided he didn't identify as black anymore, he'd still be black.
Verdi

Postby Nucks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:03 pm

Verdi wrote:

He may not identify as a man, but that doesn't stop him being a man. It's a bit like if Frank Bruno decided he didn't identify as black anymore, he'd still be black.

But what's underneath that? Are there specific traits and behaviours and attitudes that Sam no longer identifies with? And what would those be? I'm not asking you directly of course, just trying to find out more.
Nucks

Postby Verdi » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:27 pm

Nucks wrote:
Verdi wrote:

But what's underneath that? Are there specific traits and behaviours and attitudes that Sam no longer identifies with? And what would those be? I'm not asking you directly of course, just trying to find out more.

What specific traits though belong just to men? Aside from the obvious physical differences.

You get masculine women, you get effeminate men. They are still men and women though.

All this non-binary stuff, all it does is reinforce gender stereotypes.
Verdi

Postby Nucks » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:35 pm

Verdi wrote:
Nucks wrote:
Verdi wrote:

What specific traits though belong just to men? Aside from the obvious physical differences.

You get masculine women, you get effeminate men. They are still men and women though.

All this non-binary stuff, all it does is reinforce gender stereotypes.

I don't know, that's why I'm a bit curious. How does a biological male not feel like a man?
Nucks

Postby Verdi » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:40 pm

I 100% agree that someone can be born into the wrong body. That is the difference between being a man and woman. Being a feminine man doesn't make you any less of a man.
Verdi

Postby Jon55 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 1:56 pm

Sam Smith has broken up with his partner Brandon Flynn last year - So perhaps he wants a change.

https://people.com/music/sam-smith-breaks-silence-on-split-from-brandon-flynn/
Jon55

Postby Dean » Sun Sep 15, 2019 4:17 pm

Guest wrote:
LordRaven wrote:

It’s amazing just how many times you have an encounter with someone or something days before there is a thread about it posted here. What a coincidence!

What a brilliant guest post! :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:
Dean

Postby jra » Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Guest wrote:
jra wrote:
LordRaven wrote:
Rolluplostinspace wrote:
LordRaven wrote:I thought this was a thread about manhood.

A real man can follow animal tracks :ooer:
Not sure what use that would be to you in London.
Not sure what use it would be in the wilds of Wales!

I used to follow animal tracks, in deserts, bush, jungle and mountain terrain, it made sense because animals tend to take the easiest routes and especially when traversing.

True, but there isn't much use for that in the UK.

There is, get out into the countryside. The great outdoors.

I've never done that, other than living near the coast in south Devon for nearly 21 years. Travelled around Snodownia for a couple of weeks. I've gone interrailing in Europe for a month, walked part of the South West coast path, spent overnights on my dad's small yacht on various rivers and gone camping a fair few times. Is that enough?

For getting around, a map and compass usually worked well for me on the few occasions I've needed to get directions. Now we have GPS on smartphones.
jra

Postby Jon55 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:41 pm

What does it mean to be a man? Well I have just been reading mumsynet (I do sometimes when I am bored) and someones husband has ordered himself a sex toy on the families joint Amazon account and now the the Mirror has copied the story onto their website. I have laffed my socks off because now everyone can read about his sexual preferences. tut tut

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/mum-mortified-husbands-x-rated-20079210
Jon55

Postby Jon55 » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:56 pm

I have just googled the sex toy and it is quite grim, if I ever have to resort to using one of those I might as well top myself.
Jon55

PreviousNext

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms