Long Covid

A right load of bollocks...

Long Covid

Postby Stooo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:34 pm

Is it the hidden horror?

You see all sorts of horror stories about this and they are genuine ailments so what's ahead?
Stooo
Site Admin

Re: Long Covid

Postby Toke 'n' gesture » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:01 pm

No idea what's ahead, but the long term affects are frightening. 6 months on and presenter Kate Garraway's husband is still in hospital.

KATE Garraway’s husband is now the country’s longest-fighting Covid-19 patient after marking six months in hospital.

Derek Draper was hospitalised on March 28 and has just spent his 184th day in and out of intensive care.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1 ... ongest-uk/
Toke 'n' gesture

Postby Stooo » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:18 pm

Toke 'n' gesture wrote:No idea what's ahead, but the long term affects are frightening. 6 months on and presenter Kate Garraway's husband is still in hospital.

KATE Garraway’s husband is now the country’s longest-fighting Covid-19 patient after marking six months in hospital.

Derek Draper was hospitalised on March 28 and has just spent his 184th day in and out of intensive care.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/1 ... ongest-uk/

It's not really being talked about.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:48 am

Stooo wrote:Is it the hidden horror?

You see all sorts of horror stories about this and they are genuine ailments so what's ahead?

More people diagnosed with ME. The immune system takes a big hit with these type of viruses.
But on the positive side, more people realising the importance of Vit D and healthier lifestyles.
Lady Murasaki

Postby .SF. » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:30 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Stooo wrote:Is it the hidden horror?

More people diagnosed with ME. The immune system takes a big hit with these type of viruses.
But on the positive side, more people realising the importance of Vit D and healthier lifestyles.

Vitamins are definitely the way to go

.SF.

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:49 am

It's possible that some people who have "long Covid" are those who weren't that ill, so they didn't rest enough. We all know about colds which linger, and I think it's at least partly because people insist on carrying on as normal when they have a cold. Infections can cause long-term problems - there's a theory that some autoimmune illnesses can be caused or triggered by the immune reaction to an infection.
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:22 am

SF, you dinosaur, did women really fall for that old guff?

Raggamuffin wrote:It's possible that some people who have "long Covid" are those who weren't that ill, so they didn't rest enough. We all know about colds which linger, and I think it's at least partly because people insist on carrying on as normal when they have a cold. Infections can cause long-term problems - there's a theory that some autoimmune illnesses can be caused or triggered by the immune reaction to an infection.

It’s not just that people insist on carrying on as normal, it’s that other people insist they do. People get sanctions at some workplaces when they don’t carry on as normal. This whole putting health before work mentality as a country is a new phenomenon. It’s a fine balancing act health v economy. I don’t see the point in pointing fingers of blame at either.
Lady Murasaki

Postby ArchieG » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:28 am

I doubt that this is likely to be that widespread. There are certainly some very unfortunate people, but, as it's quite possible that more than 6 million of us* have has the virus, long term effects would seem to be happening in a small minority of cases.

Current numbers and mortality rates lead us to the inevitable conclusion that, to have 1000 deaths a day, we must have had a colossal number of cases in the spring.
ArchieG

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:45 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:SF, you dinosaur, did women really fall for that old guff?

Raggamuffin wrote:It's possible that some people who have "long Covid" are those who weren't that ill, so they didn't rest enough. We all know about colds which linger, and I think it's at least partly because people insist on carrying on as normal when they have a cold. Infections can cause long-term problems - there's a theory that some autoimmune illnesses can be caused or triggered by the immune reaction to an infection.

It’s not just that people insist on carrying on as normal, it’s that other people insist they do. People get sanctions at some workplaces when they don’t carry on as normal. This whole putting health before work mentality as a country is a new phenomenon. It’s a fine balancing act health v economy. I don’t see the point in pointing fingers of blame at either.

Oh yes, I agree that many people feel that they can't take time off work or whatever.
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:08 am

ArchieG wrote:I doubt that this is likely to be that widespread. There are certainly some very unfortunate people, but, as it's quite possible that more than 6 million of us* have has the virus, long term effects would seem to be happening in a small minority of cases.

Current numbers and mortality rates lead us to the inevitable conclusion that, to have 1000 deaths a day, we must have had a colossal number of cases in the spring.

Too early to know just how widespread but I hope people get quick diagnosis’s (sp?) early detection can help a lot.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:09 am

Raggamuffin wrote:

Oh yes, I agree that many people feel that they can't take time off work or whatever.

I wonder if those attitudes will change once this all dies down.
Lady Murasaki

Postby drum » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:10 am

Raggamuffin wrote:

It doesn't help anyone that the governments guidance is all over the place, get back to work or be sacked, no, stay at home and work you wont be sacked, employers sacking them anyway. The eat out/help out scheme certainly helped in the spread of covid, they wont take responsibility for that either, now they want you to go to the cinema ... I don't think so.
drum

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:06 am

drum wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

It doesn't help anyone that the governments guidance is all over the place, get back to work or be sacked, no, stay at home and work you wont be sacked, employers sacking them anyway. The eat out/help out scheme certainly helped in the spread of covid, they wont take responsibility for that either, now they want you to go to the cinema ... I don't think so.

The infection rates, or at least the worst of the illnesses, ie death rates, had gone down. It made sense to encourage people to start thinking about returning to work/school with safety measures in place.
I’m apprehensive but taking the necessary precautions. Most people are so that we don’t have to lockdown again.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:09 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I don't know but whilst this virus is still around, there's no choice. If someone has symptoms of a cold or any kind of virus which could be Covid, they have to stay off work and employers can't nag them or sanction them.
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:32 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I don't know but whilst this virus is still around, there's no choice. If someone has symptoms of a cold or any kind of virus which could be Covid, they have to stay off work and employers can't nag them or sanction them.

You don’t even have to have symptoms, you just have to have been around someone who’s tested positive and you’re in self-isolation for 2 weeks. Surely that should be lowered now for people not presenting any symptoms.
Lady Murasaki

Next

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms