Long Covid

A right load of bollocks...

Re: Long Covid

Postby Toke 'n' gesture » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:59 am

What is long Covid?

There is no medical definition or list of symptoms shared by all patients - two people with long Covid can have very different experiences.

However, the most common feature is crippling fatigue.

Others symptoms include: breathlessness, a cough that won't go away, joint pain, muscle aches, hearing and eyesight problems, headaches, loss of smell and taste as well as damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys and gut.

Mental health problems have been reported including depression, anxiety and struggling to think clearly.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/health-54296223
Toke 'n' gesture

Postby NastyNickers » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:18 am

The falling death rate could be because the people out and about and causing the infection rate increase are young. Students are the current issue. It’s young people likely to be working in pubs and restaurants and out and about.
I haven’t looked at the infection rate stats recently though. Is it still the younger lot that are higher?

As for long covid and not resting. If you’re getting a positive test your isolated for two weeks. It’s enforced resting. It’s not like the cold where you work through it.
NastyNickers

Postby Raggamuffin » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:25 am

NastyNickers wrote:The falling death rate could be because the people out and about and causing the infection rate increase are young. Students are the current issue. It’s young people likely to be working in pubs and restaurants and out and about.
I haven’t looked at the infection rate stats recently though. Is it still the younger lot that are higher?

As for long covid and not resting. If you’re getting a positive test your isolated for two weeks. It’s enforced resting. It’s not like the cold where you work through it.

I think it's ten days. Even if someone is at home they could be doing stuff - maybe gardening out in damp weather or something.
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Toke 'n' gesture wrote:
What is long Covid?

There is no medical definition or list of symptoms shared by all patients - two people with long Covid can have very different experiences.

Others symptoms include: breathlessness, a cough that won't go away, joint pain, muscle aches, hearing and eyesight problems, headaches, loss of smell and taste as well as damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys and gut.

Mental health problems have been reported including depression, anxiety and struggling to think clearly.

This is not new. Post viral fatigue is commonly known by doctors.
Lady Murasaki

Postby NastyNickers » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:04 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
NastyNickers wrote:The falling death rate could be because the people out and about and causing the infection rate increase are young. Students are the current issue. It’s young people likely to be working in pubs and restaurants and out and about.

I think it's ten days. Even if someone is at home they could be doing stuff - maybe gardening out in damp weather or something.

Yeah but pottering about your house is different than a normal work day.
NastyNickers

Postby ArchieG » Tue Oct 06, 2020 1:16 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Toke 'n' gesture wrote:
What is long Covid?

Very much so. My wife had a potential career in tennis as a teenager, she caught glandular fever, and that was over before it started. She struggled to get out of bed for the best part of a year.
ArchieG

Postby Lady Murasaki » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:27 pm

ArchieG wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Toke 'n' gesture wrote:
What is long Covid?

Very much so. My wife had a potential career in tennis as a teenager, she caught glandular fever, and that was over before it started. She struggled to get out of bed for the best part of a year.

There seems to be a pattern of people who get the worst post viral symptoms leading a high/energy high stress life prior to being struck with this. Probably high stress= low immunity.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Stooo » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:48 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It's possible that some people who have "long Covid" are those who weren't that ill, so they didn't rest enough. We all know about colds which linger, and I think it's at least partly because people insist on carrying on as normal when they have a cold. Infections can cause long-term problems - there's a theory that some autoimmune illnesses can be caused or triggered by the immune reaction to an infection.

Possible I guess but there have been studies showing that it can do huge damage to heart tissues. The LBC political editor Theo Usherwood (@theousherwood) is still complaining about breathlessness months later, and is a relatively young man. Flat on your back in ICU for three weeks is hardly stressing yourself.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Raggamuffin » Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:03 pm

Stooo wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:It's possible that some people who have "long Covid" are those who weren't that ill, so they didn't rest enough. We all know about colds which linger, and I think it's at least partly because people insist on carrying on as normal when they have a cold. Infections can cause long-term problems - there's a theory that some autoimmune illnesses can be caused or triggered by the immune reaction to an infection.

Possible I guess but there have been studies showing that it can do huge damage to heart tissues. The LBC political editor Theo Usherwood (@theousherwood) is still complaining about breathlessness months later, and is a relatively young man. Flat on your back in ICU for three weeks is hardly stressing yourself.

Well of course he still feels rotten if he was in ICU for weeks. The lungs are damaged and it takes time for them to heal.
Raggamuffin

Postby guest » Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:50 am

I have had long covid since my symptoms in March, the actual Covid was not that bad for me, I only had a cough for a few days and a fever for 24 hours but when I got to day 5 I developed Vertigo and was bedbound, which wasn't that bad I just listened to the radio until it went obviously the essentials were not easy toilet and particularly having a bath while the room is spinning isn't pleasant or safe and I had to bring food into the bedroom when I could for five days as I couldn't sit in the kitchen.

The copvid vertigo turned out to be ear nerve damage and I developed Tinnitus for over a month which lead to the second and most troubling of my symptoms complete insomnia I have had this since June and am only just starting to get a sleep pattern back thanks to medication.

The ear nerve damage has now repaired itself and the tinnitus gone but trying to live and work with no sleep for nights on end was a complete nightmare.

I was lucky with the covid I did not develop breathing problems though on the odd occassion I did wheeze in my sleep a few times.

Postby Guest » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:16 pm

Stooo wrote:Is it the hidden horror?

You see all sorts of horror stories about this and they are genuine ailments so what's ahead?

Kate Garraway’s husband is an awful example and there are many more people who will always be affected severely by this nasty infection

Previous

Return to The Sleeping Dogs' Arms