Elon Musk is buying Twitter again - for now

Re: Elon Musk is buying Twitter again - for now

Postby Jason » Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:54 pm

Stooo wrote:
Jason wrote:Mastodon is the way .. even I got caught up in the exodus .. lol

I'm still waiting.

I think a lot of people will and I don't see a major exodus any time soon because Twitter is too ingrained into society, like it or not. A lot of so-called "experts" do anticipate that Twitter will fall in the future, but I can't see it personally. There will be a steady movement of people but I don't think it'll get to major numbers any time soon.

I can't see a company like, say, Nike or Apple moving to Mastodon unless there's money and visibility in it and it's not there yet. Maybe if they did move though, that money and visibility might follow but unless Elon really screws the pooch and, maybe, if Trump does start tweeting again then who knows ?

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the recent exodus are just people trying to grab a decent handle just in case it does blow up in the future as well.
Jason

Postby Red Okktober » Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:44 pm

Stooo wrote:
Maybe not direct interaction but use of the like button proves that your opinion has at least been considered.

Ah right, so you haven't been having conversations with world leaders after all then?

So what film stars have you been talking to?

What do De Niro and Pacino think of your views on Brexit?
Red Okktober

Postby Stooo » Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:24 am

Red Okktober wrote:
Stooo wrote:
Maybe not direct interaction but use of the like button proves that your opinion has at least been considered.

Ah right, so you haven't been having conversations with world leaders after all then?

So what film stars have you been talking to?

What do De Niro and Pacino think of your views on Brexit?

You don't use the platform, why even comment?
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Red Okktober » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:14 pm

Stooo wrote:

So some anonymous lackey (or bot) in cyberspace clicks on a 'like button' and you equate that to you having conversations with world leaders and film stars?

Twitter has turned your mind mate - you're better off out of it.
Red Okktober

Postby Stooo » Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:29 pm

Red Okktober wrote:
Stooo wrote:

So some anonymous lackey (or bot) in cyberspace clicks on a 'like button' and you equate that to you having conversations with world leaders and film stars?

Twitter has turned your mind mate - you're better off out of it.

You don't use the platform and base your opinions on the Daily Mail. Cool beans :thumbsup:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:45 pm

Jason wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I'm still waiting.

I think a lot of people will and I don't see a major exodus any time soon because Twitter is too ingrained into society, like it or not. A lot of so-called "experts" do anticipate that Twitter will fall in the future, but I can't see it personally. There will be a steady movement of people but I don't think it'll get to major numbers any time soon.

I can't see a company like, say, Nike or Apple moving to Mastodon unless there's money and visibility in it and it's not there yet. Maybe if they did move though, that money and visibility might follow but unless Elon really screws the pooch and, maybe, if Trump does start tweeting again then who knows ?

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the recent exodus are just people trying to grab a decent handle just in case it does blow up in the future as well.

I think the opinion Twitter is in deep trouble soon isn't based so much on an exodus of users, which would be a longer term thing, but on the FTC compliance audit that has to be done by sometime in January.

Even with every employee they had when Elon took over Twitter were struggling with that and losing 88% of his staff isn't going to have made it better. If Twitter fails the FTC compliance audit there are billions more in fines and possible criminal prosecutions and jail time.

All that may explain why Musk is sucking up to the worst of the worst in the GOP, who have a history of helping crooked billionaires evade legal sanctions.
Cactus Jack

Postby Jason » Fri Nov 25, 2022 8:32 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
Jason wrote:
Stooo wrote:

I'm still waiting.

I think the opinion Twitter is in deep trouble soon isn't based so much on an exodus of users, which would be a longer term thing, but on the FTC compliance audit that has to be done by sometime in January.

Even with every employee they had when Elon took over Twitter were struggling with that and losing 88% of his staff isn't going to have made it better. If Twitter fails the FTC compliance audit there are billions more in fines and possible criminal prosecutions and jail time.

All that may explain why Musk is sucking up to the worst of the worst in the GOP, who have a history of helping crooked billionaires evade legal sanctions.

I didn't know about the FTC situation. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

His latest stunt ..

He's apparently drawn the line at allowing Alex Jones back but if he follows through with this latest poll, lord knows who will be back.
Jason

Postby Stooo » Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:48 pm

Well that's it I guess; ban amnesties don't usually work out too well.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:00 pm

Right now there are reported instances of copyrighted IP, like large chunks of movies or shows that are only available on streaming services, being uploaded to Twitter and very long delays in them being taken down.

With the precedents set by decisions against The Pirate Bay and other P2P sharing platforms it's almost inevitable that content owners like Disney and Paramount will be taking action against Twitter.

Elon Musk may feel he can control all Twitter accounts but the reality is it's not feasible and the way things are now he is very likely to be personally liable for more than just Twitter's mounting debt.

The way things are going Twitter could be blocked by the US because of IP violations, blocked by the EU due to GDPR violations and blocked by China and Saudi Arabia if Elon Musks refuses to hand over data, including location, associates and people who supply hardware support, about dissidents China and Saudi Arabia would like to 'have a quiet chat' with - My bet is China and Saudi Arabia will get what they ask for.
Cactus Jack

Postby Jason » Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:52 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Right now there are reported instances of copyrighted IP, like large chunks of movies or shows that are only available on streaming services, being uploaded to Twitter and very long delays in them being taken down.

With the precedents set by decisions against The Pirate Bay and other P2P sharing platforms it's almost inevitable that content owners like Disney and Paramount will be taking action against Twitter.

Elon Musk may feel he can control all Twitter accounts but the reality is it's not feasible and the way things are now he is very likely to be personally liable for more than just Twitter's mounting debt.

The way things are going Twitter could be blocked by the US because of IP violations, blocked by the EU due to GDPR violations and blocked by China and Saudi Arabia if Elon Musks refuses to hand over data, including location, associates and people who supply hardware support, about dissidents China and Saudi Arabia would like to 'have a quiet chat' with - My bet is China and Saudi Arabia will get what they ask for.

I'll try and find the link, but one of their latest resignations is a guy called Yoel Roth who was head of "Trust and Safety" there - basically in charge of policing the content and setting the rules. He speculated that if things continued the way they were going that Apple and Google could potentially consider whether or not to carry the Twitter app in their respective app stores.

With Android it wouldn't a complete kiss of death as it could easily be sideloaded, but I imagine that wouldn't matter if Apple stopped carrying it.
Jason

Postby Cobs » Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:36 am

Sam Harris has deleted his twitter.
The first tremor felt chez Cobs.
Cobs

Postby ArchieG » Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:24 am

So, Twitter heading for a sudden unplanned disassembly. Or is it unplanned? I won’t be sorry to see it go. It’sca load of shite.
ArchieG

Postby Holly » Sat Nov 26, 2022 12:41 pm

ArchieG wrote:So, Twitter heading for a sudden unplanned disassembly. Or is it unplanned? I won’t be sorry to see it go. It’sca load of shite.

I really don't think it's going anywhere, and I'm not being sarcastic here. I just don't believe anything anymore. Lets not forget that Musk is part of the elite, a mega billionaire. Something weird is going on which I can't explain. Same with Trump, he's also a part of that group.
Remember when he said he will clear the swamp? Well he did nothing. Remember when he said he will see Hillary behind bars, or at least investigate her ? He did nothing, he actually invited her to one of his big official dinner and blew a kiss at her. He never went after her. He could also have regulated social media, get rid of censorship, he did nothing.
We are being fooled here people. So don't ever call me a Trumpist again, if you must call me anything, call me a cynic. I don't trust any of them. I don't think for a minute that Musk is trustworthy.
Holly
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:40 pm

Holly wrote:
ArchieG wrote:So, Twitter heading for a sudden unplanned disassembly. Or is it unplanned? I won’t be sorry to see it go. It’sca load of shite.

I really don't think it's going anywhere, and I'm not being sarcastic here. I just don't believe anything anymore. Lets not forget that Musk is part of the elite, a mega billionaire. Something weird is going on which I can't explain. Same with Trump, he's also a part of that group.
Remember when he said he will clear the swamp? Well he did nothing. Remember when he said he will see Hillary behind bars, or at least investigate her ? He did nothing, he actually invited her to one of his big official dinner and blew a kiss at her. He never went after her. He could also have regulated social media, get rid of censorship, he did nothing.
We are being fooled here people. So don't ever call me a Trumpist again, if you must call me anything, call me a cynic. I don't trust any of them. I don't think for a minute that Musk is trustworthy.

Well done for posting this, the elite were never hidden they were hiding behind the shadows that they used to scare ordinary people with terms such as 'globalists (Jewish people)' 'wokeism (whatever the fuck that is)' and the rest of the culture war bullshit that pits neighbours and even families against each other while they pick the public pocket and blame an easy target.

Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Sat Nov 26, 2022 4:56 pm

My followers count is dropping daily and they're 90% suspended rather than quitters, none of them rule breakers from what I remember. Former PBUs are forming mass alerting partnerships and the ban algorithm is obviously working on the amount of alerts because Musk sacked the mods who would stop that sort of brigading.

Sad.
Stooo
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to World News