Now That's Engineering

UFOs, new tech, it all goes in here. Have you tried switching it off and back on ?

Now That's Engineering

Postby KeithTas » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:16 am

Have a butchers at this watch being manufactured, it's mind blowing and fantastic engineering. Now all I need is the 1.7 million pounds to buy one. All made by humans not al alien in sight.

KeithTas

Re: Now That's Engineering

Postby Trapper John » Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:40 am

It is a thing of beauty, Keith and no mistake.

I just wonder though, is it more a feat of engineering with today's modern tools and equipment than say, an old Swiss watchmaker sitting in room with just files, pliers and tweezers making every component by hand?
Trapper John
Gunner.

Location: Champions league next season - prediction date: 10/5/2018

Postby KeithTas » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:52 am

Trapper John wrote:It is a thing of beauty, Keith and no mistake.

I just wonder though, is it more a feat of engineering with today's modern tools and equipment than say, an old Swiss watchmaker sitting in room with just files, pliers and tweezers making every component by hand?

Well if you visit the Maritime Museum at Greenwich the clocks, chronometers and instruments are simply mind blowing there is not doubt, people like John Harrison were geniuses. I also saw the Tutenkamon exhibition in Melbourne some time ago and the engraving could have been done by a laser cutter (fuck here we go again).

I think that we do tend to view the old and the new with rose coloured glasses of sorts, after all it should be remembered that even though much todays modern manufacturing techniques is mechanical these machines we built by humans, so were the machines that built the machines that built the machines.
KeithTas

Postby art0hur0moh » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:50 am

Cool... Engineering.... Only one question. What else can it do?

art0hur0moh

Return to Science And Technology