iPhone 6 etc etc

UFOs, new tech, it all goes in here. Have you tried switching it off and back on ?

Re: iPhone 6 etc etc

Postby Stooo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 8:41 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:Buy a cheap Android phone

http://www.knowyourmobile.in/android/73 ... ember-2014

These can easily be purchased online

When it breaks buy a new one.

Job done

I've got a Nokia cheap phone and it's fine for everything.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 4:30 pm

My One+ arrived this morning and it really is a great looking phone.

I got the 64GB Sandstone Black model and I was having some issues with getting my address book sorted out but simply waiting for the apps that I had on my existing Android device to automatically sync and download my apps.

The package arrived in a taped together Jiffy bag (thanks HMRC :Hiya: ) but appeared to have survived the journey from China. Once opened I had a cute cardboard box thing, a sim card tray opener, a nice looking USB cable and the worst plug in the world. But then there was this glorious slab of 5.5” 1080p display that is probably going to make my Nexus into a new home for the spiders.

Turn it on and immediately there's an update, cool beans with the Cyanogen fork of Android, they are on the ball. Two minutes and a reboot, log into my Google account and just watch everything sync and update. I swept across the screen to see the other stock apps and nope, it's a totally vanilla installation. My synced apps were sitting in the settings menu and a simple hold and drop was all was needed to put my most used on the front page.

I've used Android on a phone before but it was Gingerbread on an HTC Wildfire S and KitKat 4.4.4 on my tablet, but using it on a phone takes a little getting used to after WP, but this stuff is crackling quick! Apps load instantly and browsing on WiFi is the same as you would get on a PC, I'll test the 4G tomorrow.

This is a flagship phone at a realistic price, it's also very exclusive and very nice to use. Creamy or anyone else who is interested please email me or say so in this thread, OPO randomly send out invites to buy and I will be happy to share the awesomeness with whoever wants to buy one.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby KeithTas » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:59 pm

Stooo wrote:My One+ arrived this morning and it really is a great looking phone.

I got the 64GB Sandstone Black model and I was having some issues with getting my address book sorted out but simply waiting for the apps that I had on my existing Android device to automatically sync and download my apps.

The package arrived in a taped together Jiffy bag (thanks HMRC :Hiya: ) but appeared to have survived the journey from China. Once opened I had a cute cardboard box thing, a sim card tray opener, a nice looking USB cable and the worst plug in the world. But then there was this glorious slab of 5.5” 1080p display that is probably going to make my Nexus into a new home for the spiders.

Turn it on and immediately there's an update, cool beans with the Cyanogen fork of Android, they are on the ball. Two minutes and a reboot, log into my Google account and just watch everything sync and update. I swept across the screen to see the other stock apps and nope, it's a totally vanilla installation. My synced apps were sitting in the settings menu and a simple hold and drop was all was needed to put my most used on the front page.

I've used Android on a phone before but it was Gingerbread on an HTC Wildfire S and KitKat 4.4.4 on my tablet, but using it on a phone takes a little getting used to after WP, but this stuff is crackling quick! Apps load instantly and browsing on WiFi is the same as you would get on a PC, I'll test the 4G tomorrow.

This is a flagship phone at a realistic price, it's also very exclusive and very nice to use. Creamy or anyone else who is interested please email me or say so in this thread, OPO randomly send out invites to buy and I will be happy to share the awesomeness with whoever wants to buy one.

Yep definitely looks like an iPhone clone to me (as do all the other smartphones), yep the software definitely looks like a clone of iOS as well. Apple must have something right for the masses to follow.
KeithTas

Postby Stooo » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:10 pm

KeithTas wrote:
Stooo wrote:My One+ arrived this morning and it really is a great looking phone.

Yep definitely looks like an iPhone clone to me (as do all the other smartphones), yep the software definitely looks like a clone of iOS as well. Apple must have something right for the masses to follow.

It was out long before the 6+, it has a metal bezel that doesn't bend, a scratch proof back, a 13MP camera and uses an open source software as an OS.

Please explain.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby KeithTas » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:13 am

Stooo wrote:
KeithTas wrote:

It was out long before the 6+, it has a metal bezel that doesn't bend, a scratch proof back, a 13MP camera and uses an open source software as an OS.

Please explain.

All smartphones are clones and copies of the iPhone, when Apple released the iPhone it revolutionised the phone manufacturing industry including the operating system, but I could be wrong I suppose but you know I'm not.
KeithTas

Postby Stooo » Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:36 pm

KeithTas wrote:All smartphones are clones and copies of the iPhone, when Apple released the iPhone it revolutionised the phone manufacturing industry including the operating system, but I could be wrong I suppose but you know I'm not.

No...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone

I had one of these in 2005 that was purchased through Sky and used to receive my route and for customer confirmation signatures:

It was locked to their software but I found a crack that released the full Windows CE operating system.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby KeithTas » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:07 am

Stooo wrote:
KeithTas wrote:All smartphones are clones and copies of the iPhone, when Apple released the iPhone it revolutionised the phone manufacturing industry including the operating system, but I could be wrong I suppose but you know I'm not.

No...

I had one of these in 2005 that was purchased through Sky and used to receive my route and for customer confirmation signatures:

It was locked to their software but I found a crack that released the full Windows CE operating system.

Oh dear Stooo nice try but it is hardly a smartphone and cannot be compared to the original iPhone, you might as well have used a Blackberry. You cannot deny that the iPhone revolutionised the phone industry that did away with physical keys and could download apps. All of todays smartphones are copies of the iPhone, the operating systems are copies of iOS.

Apple has transformed the mobile communications industry from the iPod, iPad and the iPhone, the online music industry was going nowhere until Apple built the iPod. Now I'm not saying they did everything right mind you, their original DRM system did more to encourage music piracy than anything else as hackers saw cracking it as a challenge especially when Apple said it was unbreakable. You cannot tell me that there is a better stand alone music player than the iPod and with all its faults iTunes is (to me anyway) still be best music library software, and yes I've tried all the others over the years.

I have not even mentioned the impact that the iPad has had either, again everything out there is a clone of the iPad, yes it does have its faults and yes it is not really a business table because the Windows based machines are more flexible.

Everyone still plays catchup to Apple, yes maybe not in some areas, there are some pretty innovative programmes and devices out there but the concept breakthrough has all come from Apple. Fuck even Bill Gates stole the idea of Windows from Apple.
KeithTas

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:36 am

KeithTas wrote: the online music industry was going nowhere until Apple built the iPod.

fuck off
youll be saying apple invented the mp3 next ffs...
from wiki

SaeHan/Eiger MPMan[edit]

An early MP3 player was launched in 1997 by Saehan Information Systems,[10] which sold its “MPMan” player in Asia in spring 1998.[11] In mid-1998, the South Korean company licensed the players for North American distribution to Eiger Labs, which rebranded them as the EigerMan F10 and F20.[12] The flash-based players were available in 32 MB or 64 MB (6 or 12 songs) storage capacity and had a LCD screen to tell the user the song currently playing.

Diamond Rio[edit]

Main article: Rio (digital audio players)

The Rio PMP300 from Diamond Multimedia was introduced in September 1998, a few months after the MPMan, and also featured a 32 MB storage capacity. It was a success during the holiday season, with sales exceeding expectations.[13] Interest and investment in digital music were subsequently spurred from it.[14] Because of the player's notoriety as the target of a major lawsuit,[15] the Rio is erroneously assumed to be the first digital audio player.[16]

HanGo Personal Jukebox[edit]

In 1998, Compaq developed the Personal Jukebox, which was the first hard drive based DAP using a 2.5" laptop drive. It was licensed to HanGo Electronics (now known as Remote Solution), which first sold the PJB-100 (Personal Jukebox) in 1999. The player had an initial capacity of 4.8 GB, with an advertised capacity of 1200 songs.[17]

Creative NOMAD Jukebox[edit]

In 2000, Creative released the 6GB hard drive based Creative NOMAD Jukebox. The name borrowed the jukebox metaphor popularised by Remote Solution, also used by Archos. Later players in the Creative NOMAD range used microdrives rather than laptop drives.

Cowon iAUDIO CW100[edit]

In October 2000, South Korean software company Cowon Systems released their first MP3 player, the CW100, under the brand name iAUDIO. Ironically, Cowon would later be accused for 'stealing' the 'i-prefix' from Apple, despite the iAUDIO brand being launched one year prior to the first iPod model and aimed exclusively at the Korean market.

Archos Jukebox[edit]

In December 2000, some months after the Creative's NOMAD Jukebox, Archos released its Jukebox 6000 with a 6GB hard drive.

Apple iPod[edit]

Main article: iPod

On October 23, 2001, Apple Computer unveiled the first generation iPod,
Big Fat Frosty

Postby Stooo » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:22 pm

KeithTas wrote:
Stooo wrote:

No...

Oh dear Stooo nice try but it is hardly a smartphone and cannot be compared to the original iPhone, you might as well have used a Blackberry. You cannot deny that the iPhone revolutionised the phone industry that did away with physical keys and could download apps. All of todays smartphones are copies of the iPhone, the operating systems are copies of iOS.

Apple has transformed the mobile communications industry from the iPod, iPad and the iPhone, the online music industry was going nowhere until Apple built the iPod. Now I'm not saying they did everything right mind you, their original DRM system did more to encourage music piracy than anything else as hackers saw cracking it as a challenge especially when Apple said it was unbreakable. You cannot tell me that there is a better stand alone music player than the iPod and with all its faults iTunes is (to me anyway) still be best music library software, and yes I've tried all the others over the years.

I have not even mentioned the impact that the iPad has had either, again everything out there is a clone of the iPad, yes it does have its faults and yes it is not really a business table because the Windows based machines are more flexible.

Everyone still plays catchup to Apple, yes maybe not in some areas, there are some pretty innovative programmes and devices out there but the concept breakthrough has all come from Apple. Fuck even Bill Gates stole the idea of Windows from Apple.

Runs links (apps), yep

Can connect to WiFi, yep

Can connect to a mobile network, yep

an iphone clone years before the iphone? nope it has multitasking.

ipads? Do people still buy tablets now? and as for the ipod...

... A few years ago I was looking for a Christmas gift for my kids and I hit on the idea of an mp4 player. I went into Comet to view the range and got jumped by a bloke who tried to sell me 2 ipod nano's but kept on getting flustered when I pointed out to him that the other brands had bigger storage, more features and were half the price. That was the tipping point for me with the fruit company.

You hit the apple demographic target of old people, women and homosexual men and unfortunately you put hype before simple facts. People like you are a menace in RL discussions about tech, 'just get a mac' is not a contribution to the discussion just sayin'.

As for catchup, my overspecced and underpriced chinkphone still doesn't have any bends in it :gigglesnshit:

Let me let you into a little secret about windows btw...

"You're ripping us off!", Steve shouted, raising his voice even higher. "I trusted you, and now you're stealing from us!"

But Bill Gates just stood there coolly, looking Steve directly in the eye, before starting to speak in his squeaky voice.

"Well, Steve, I think there's more than one way of looking at it. I think it's more like we both had this rich neighbor named Xerox and I broke into his house to steal the TV set and found out that you had already stolen it."

:wink:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:00 pm

Bendphone, the fappening, ios8 and related issues about fingerprint sensors and now osx problems with the new service pack. I must buy me one of these premium products. :gigglesnshit:

The cries for help from frazzled Mac owners whose Wi-Fi connections went haywire after upgrading to OS X Yosemite are being met by Apple with stone-faced silence.

Affected users have been filing a steady stream of complaints about the problem in discussion forums, blogs, and social media sites since Apple released the latest version of the operating system a week ago.

Attempts by users to isolate the cause of the issue have been fruitless so far. The problem affects a variety of Macs with dissimilar configurations and linked to many different routers. What’s clear is that the problem hit these users after installing Yosemite. In most cases, Wi-Fi becomes unstable, with connections dropping every few minutes, irritatingly slow or simply unusable.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2839012/ ... blems.html

:razz:
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Stooo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 pm

My poor OPO is showing it's age, bluetooth sound appears to have stopped but I'll see if there's a patch for it, not bad for a 2014 daily driver that has been totally solid so far.

I'm thinking about the OP5 for a new phone but I'm going to wait and see what Nokia are going to bring out in the next few months.
Stooo
Site Admin

Postby Big Fat Frosty » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:56 pm

my s5 had a phone meets wall moment
im back to using my galaxy ace
and u know what
I prefer it
rings louder
smaller in pocket
and the new winamp android app
does everything I had 3 other apps doing