A Benjamin for a jab.

Re: A Benjamin for a jab.

Postby Maddog » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:41 pm

Avon Barksdale wrote:
Maddog wrote:President Joe Biden has called on state and local governments to give $100 to those who opt to get a COVID-19 vaccine.

The White House announced the new plan Thursday as the dangerous delta variant continues to spread across the U.S. and some states lag behind in vaccination rates.

The White House said the new plan will incentivize the vaccine-hesitant to go get their shots.

https://www.huffp.st/PmQ9OD8

Maybe I should have held out for a few more months? :dunno:

Might work out cheaper as a cost to the State than dealing with the cost of Covid hospital admissions.

Over here the average stay is around 7 days I believe, sometimes much longer, which can be enormously expensive. I don't think that the majority of people would need an incentive but this may help someone who is reluctant to do so in getting one. If this in turns stops them getting Covid and being admitted it would translate into a significant overall saving to the public purse.

Very forward thinking by President Biden.

You could use that argument for a lot of things.

And let's be honest, we already have the state paying for the shot, and an extra hundred bucks isn't a huge amount of money, but it all starts to add up to trillions in new debt.
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:42 pm

Lady Murasaki wrote:It’s only about £50. Is it worth saving men who visit those bars? I think not. :splat:

Those girls gotta make a living. Someone has to support them. :more beer:
Maddog

Postby Maddog » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:38 pm

Maddog

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Jul 30, 2021 8:07 pm

Maddog wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Maddog wrote:It's a mixture here.

You will find anti vaxers in Alabama and San Francisco. Plenty of white farmers in Nebraska and black folks in Detroit.

These rewards aren't new. Seattle gave out joints if you got a shot.

Nothing to do with "conservatives" seeing themselves as victims then for not getting $100.

I think it's a bad idea - it's rewarding selfishness and stupidity.

Something Maddog wishes he’d held out for. :gigglesnshit:

It's $100.

That's 5 table dances at the titty bar. :gigglesnshit:

I guess I could go back and get them again. I don't really think anyone would know.

Do you think an arm or a leg would fall off if I was double vaccinated?

On a serious note there, it may be a good reason to have a booster just before the winter.

There are plans in the UK to offer booster shots to some, it may even be offered to all people over 50, because last year they found that even the most mild covid infection combined with seasonal flu was exceptionally dangerous to every age group.
Cactus Jack

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:22 am

I would say that if someone can overcome their concerns by being offered a bit of money, their concerns weren't very serious in the first place. It's just stupid

The incentive of $100 will just go straight back into the economy and it’ll do some good vaccination wise. Can’t see the issue, unless it’s just party politics and having a dig for the sake of it. :roll:
Lady Murasaki

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:24 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
I would say that if someone can overcome their concerns by being offered a bit of money, their concerns weren't very serious in the first place. It's just stupid

The incentive of $100 will just go straight back into the economy and it’ll do some good vaccination wise. Can’t see the issue, unless it’s just party politics and having a dig for the sake of it. :roll:

You can't see the issue re people overcoming their immense fear of the vaccine by being offered $100? Perhaps all phobias could be cured that way - it would save psychiatrists a lot of time.
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:28 am

Who said it was immense fear stopping them? Many are sceptical, some still won’t be persuaded by the money. Unfortunately you can’t force people so …
Lady Murasaki

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:31 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:Who said it was immense fear stopping them? Many are sceptical, some still won’t be persuaded by the money. Unfortunately you can’t force people so …

You mean they think it will change their DNA or something? $100 in exchange for different DNA isn't bad I suppose.

If they're in Texas, perhaps telling them that there's a shortage of nurses to look after them if they get Covid might be a good incentive.

I hope it doesn't catch on here. Imagine someone turning up at a vaccination centre run by hard-working volunteers and telling them that they've been paid to turn up and roll their sleeve up.
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:45 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Who said it was immense fear stopping them? Many are sceptical, some still won’t be persuaded by the money. Unfortunately you can’t force people so …

You mean they think it will change their DNA or something? $100 in exchange for different DNA isn't bad I suppose.

If they're in Texas, perhaps telling them that there's a shortage of nurses to look after them if they get Covid might be a good incentive.

I hope it doesn't catch on here. Imagine someone turning up at a vaccination centre run by hard-working volunteers and telling them that they've been paid to turn up and roll their sleeve up.

God knows what their thinking is. I’m all for shaming them into it but when that doesn’t work what can you do?

How would you incentivise the awkward ones?
Lady Murasaki

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:48 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

God knows what their thinking is. I’m all for shaming them into it but when that doesn’t work what can you do?

How would you incentivise the awkward ones?

I wouldn't bother. If most people are vaccinated, the hospitals won't be under too much strain. Unvaccinated people will have to take their chances.
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:54 am

Unvaccinated people spread the virus though and keep us all more vulnerable and restricted. This incentive isn’t just for them.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:57 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:Unvaccinated people spread the virus though and keep us all more vulnerable and restricted. This incentive isn’t just for them.

If they spread it to a vaccinated person, that vaccinated person is unlikely to be very ill though - if at all.
Raggamuffin

Postby Lady Murasaki » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:09 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Lady Murasaki wrote:Unvaccinated people spread the virus though and keep us all more vulnerable and restricted. This incentive isn’t just for them.

If they spread it to a vaccinated person, that vaccinated person is unlikely to be very ill though - if at all.

Ill enough to have to take time off work. The antibodies don’t stay forever.
Lady Murasaki

Postby Raggamuffin » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:11 am

Lady Murasaki wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Ill enough to have to take time off work. The antibodies don’t stay forever.

I'm hoping that the vaccines are effective for a long time - maybe with yearly boosters. I mean, the point of the vaccines is that they're supposed to protect you from catching the virus or at least not being very ill if you do catch it. People take time off work if they get a cold, so there's no difference.
Raggamuffin

Postby drum » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:12 am

Lloyds chemists are taking names for the boosters already, I registered my name for that and the flu jab again.
drum

PreviousNext

Return to News, Politics And Current Affairs